Sunday, March 29, 2009

Drinking update

Parenting books drive me crazy. This whole "don't force your kid to do anything" line of advice that permeates every freakin' book is mind-boggling. I mean, seriously?! Like, the kid decides they don't want to eat or drink and you just let them do what they want? Sorry, doesn't work for me. (Hence the formula via giant syringe program we've been faithful to for weeks.) But then Patient Dan decided maybe he would devote more time to pushing Nedy to take the formula via sippy cup because, in his words, "She CAN take it from the cup, so she should." Patient Dan is EXTREMELY patient.

Patient Dan has won the battle for the past two days and Nedy is now taking 16 ounces of formula (albeit slowly) a day via sippy cup. Did I mention how insanely patient Patient Dan is? So, back to the parenting books, Nedy doesn't like drinking the formula. But she's doing it. And it's good for her. Somehow I think she gets that. And no matter what those books say, I think that's pretty good parenting.

Nice work, Patient Dan. You're my hero. And Nedy's, too. She told me so. :)


2 comments:

Aleece said...

And now you can put those 5000 sippy cups you have to good use! :)

Great job Dan and Nedy.

Anonymous said...

Rock on Dan!

As for the parenting books...I think the logic might be something like this: let the kid do what they want, because eventually he or she will get thirsty enough to accept the sippy cup. Or at least that's how I interpret it. Kinda don't-sweat-it, kinda survival-of-the-fittest. Soooo American, no?

And besides, the cardinal rule of parenting is that you should do what works for you and works for her. Which you've done. Bravo!