Monday, July 2, 2012

What?! An actual blog post?!

Deary me, how'd it get to be July?!  Things are busy around our little house, what with the two little beings getting bigger and bigger and our house about to follow suit with our second story addition planned to start in a few weeks.

So, without further ado, some updates:

Nedy turned 4.5 on May 9; an important milestone for her.  Something about "fourandahalf" makes her feel monumentally bigger.  Her favorite activities of late are wearing flip-flops ("Pleeeeeeeease can I wear my flip-flops??  Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease?!?"), riding her balance bike (she'll be ready for a two-wheeler by summer's end I'm thinking), playing games (Traffic Jam, Jr. and Sequence are favorites), playing baseball (she can hit 80% of pitches thrown to her--amazing!), pondering life's mysteries ("So, if the moon is out in the daytime here does that mean it's new moon in China?"), eating olives and cornichons (even forgoing chocolate for them), learning to read (Hop on Pop!), and preparing to start pre-school in the Fall at Morningstar Montessori ("When exactly do I start school again?  How long will she give me to eat lunch?")  She is as bright and chatty as ever with all sorts of funny things escaping her mouth.  She has also recently developed an attitude that resembles what I might expect from a thirteen year old.  Between that and her occasional regression to the Land of Baby Talk, I am working hard to keep up.  "Mama, I'm not a baby!"  "But Mama, I'm just a baby!"  Fourandahalf is apparently a time of inner conflict.  ;)

Kam turned 2 on June 14.  He is reeeeeeeeaaally 2.  He is growing up so quickly.  His baby chunkiness is all but gone, in its place a tall, handsome little manly man.  So, I'll admit it.  Kamron and I spent many months--say, from 15 months to 22 months--mostly at odds, what with him pushing my every button and me reacting like he was pushing my every button.  It became apparent to me (with some input from a few more seasoned mamas) that I either had to disguise my buttons better and react less, or risk a lifetime of torture.  :)  So a few months ago I began my pursuit to choose my battles more carefully.  And I'll be darned.  Either their advice totally worked, or it was timed perfectly to a random developmental adjustment, because we're doing soooooo much better and having sooooo much more fun.  Kam is such a goofball.  He looooves teasing (Just ask Nedy...), jumping (he can get both feet off the ground now), all things truck and machine related ("Yook, Mama!  Big twuck!  Guy in der dwiving!"), reading books (Speedy Little Race Cars and Curious George are favorites), and eating chocolate ("Ooohooohoooo, CHOCYET!")  Kam is Nedy's ever-present shadow and when she slips out of sight you can bet this will soon follow, "Deeedddddyyyyyy!  Where Dedy go?  Kammy find her."  His language development has been such a joy to witness.  He moved from one word to stringing two and three words to sentences very quickly.  He is forever telling us about things he sees, what he did that day, on and on.  He listens carefully as other people talk and loves to take part in the conversation.  The other morning Nedy was in her bed reading and he came by to say "Hi, Dedy", but then decided he'd stay to chat, so he says to her, "Dedy, scootch over.  Make woom Kammy on bed."  As he gets older, they are spending more time playing together (read: chasing each other around the house at full speed), which is both delightful and occasionally terrifying.

And the house.  Later this month we will embark on a crazy adventure in the form of ripping off our roof and adding another story to our house.  The plan is finalized, we've gone before the design review board, the building permit is issued and the bids are rolling in.  And just so you know, this terrible drought is about to end for sure. Right about the time the roof is tossed into the dumpster below...

      

No comments: