Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Pumpkins and Apples and Prada, Oh My!

Saturday was our annual family trip to Land of the Giants pumpkin patch and the uber-commercial Illinois playground known as Apple Holler. I mean, I'm just sayin', no one should wear Prada shoes to the apple orchard. No one. Don't get me wrong, once you wade through the sea of BMW-driving, perfectly pressed yahoos, the orchard is lovely. I guess they probably don't do the pick-your-own apple thing, what with their Prada shoes and all. Grrr.

Anyway, Land of the Giants is on Highway 11 in Sturtevant and is so worth the trip. They specialize in growing big pumpkins...really GIANT pumpkins. And they have goats that walk up ladders to platforms and llamas that are trimmed to look like standard poodles (freaky) and a corn maze and portable toilets with hand sanitizer. Good stuff.

So I'm sitting in the portable toilet taking care of business when I hear Josiah's voice from next door:

Josiah: "Ummm, Abu?"

Me: "Yes?"
Josiah: "Ummm, is the stuff in the dispenser hand sanitizer? 'Cuz that's not a sink, it's a urinal and if it's not hand sanitizer in the dispenser, then we can't wash our hands because if it's soap then there's no place to get water because that's not a sink, it's a urinal."
Me: "Yes, Josiah, it's hand sanitizer."
Josiah: "Thanks Abu."

I love kids.

Anyway, so we picked out our pumpkins (mine is full of warts, Dan's is triangular and everyone else's is perfect) and headed out to Apple Holler for apple pickin' and apple eatin'. And just in case you didn't know, watching a toothless 6 year-old eat an apple is one of life's great joys. I'm convinced of it. Life is good.

No comments: