Monday, September 8, 2008

Turtleday

Our nephew Samuel has an amazingly adorable and inspiring love for all creatures. People, rodents, cats, hermit crabs...and as of Saturday, baby snapping turtles.

We spent Saturday afternoon at a party for my Aunt out in the boonies. While everyone was busy enjoying the campfire, someone noticed a baby snapping turtle had come up from a hole in the ground. And then another came up...and another. And before you knew it, we had collected some 14 itty bitty hatchlings in a stainless steel mixing bowl for safe passage to the river. (I am continually amazed by the versatility of the stainless steel mixing bowl. My Mom still has the bowl we all barfed in as kids--affectionately named 'puke bowl.' The thing about that bowl is that it was never held away from its kitchenly duties because of its part-time job... I love that bowl.)

And I love that Samuel.





No comments: