Sunday, February 22, 2009

Just hangin' out

Sorry for my delay in posting about yesterday (Sunday), but this hotel is not only moldy, but has less-than-fabulous internet service that we are paying through the nose for. :) But it's still my favorite hotel ever. Seriously, I love this place.

Kennedy lets more and more of her personality out every day--and let me be the first to tell you, this child is HILARIOUS. She has a tremendous and smart sense of humor that we never could have predicted from those serious referral photos we stared at for months. She cracks us up with her goofy faces, cooing noises, funny reactions, giggles, and stubborn outbursts that usually end in her having a big "proud of myself" smile on her face. To say we are enjoying her thoroughly would be an understatement. We keep talking about how it's only been a week and how far she has come with trusting us--it is pretty overwhelming to think about her life and the stress of her experiences and how resilient she seems--how willing she seems to trust. I am blown away by that; and so thankful for the love of her caregiver that is obvious in her interactions with us.

Sunday we did some sight seeing in the morning starting with the Liurong Temple where all of us families took part in the blessing ceremony for the babies. Kennedy loved (cough) having water flicked on her head by the monk--she looked at me with this, "what the hell?!" look on her face that was beyond priceless. We spent some time wandering around, lighting incense, being stared at by adorable old people there with their offerings of fruit and flowers...good stuff. Afterward we went to the Guangdong Folk Arts Museum and wandered around among the ceramics, embroidery, and carving exhibits. I was soooo excited to see Kennedy react to stuff...I'm so hopeful for an art lover! :)

Ar 3:00, one parent from each family had to meet with our guide for 2 hours of paperwork in preparation for our Consulate appointment on Wednesday. We are done with the adoption on the China side, but need to process her immigration on the U.S. side. Remember me describing how she screamed for her passport photo in a previous post? Well, we got her Chinese passport and the photo doesn't even hint of a screaming kid. I have no idea how they did it... Anyway, back to the 3:00 paperwork appointment, normally I do all the paperwork. Paperwork and I just tend to get along better than paperwork and Dan. But Sunday Dan offered to take this 2 hours of paperwork. SCORE! While he did that, Kennedy and I strolled all over and stopped at the square for Kennedy to get more use out of her squeaky shoes. Have I mentioned how insanely adorable this kid is?!

Last night out group went out for a Thai dinner together at the Cow and Bridge. I just love this group we are traveling with. Every one of them is amazing and we feel so lucky to share this experience--and to share our daughter's early life connection-- with such an awesome group of folks. I hope the years ahead include lots of visits.




















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't known you guys long, so whenever I think of you, the mental image that comes up is one of your "Jen and Dan in the corner" photos...some fabulous location in the background, and you two lovey (and lovely) doveys smiling away in the corner.

Can I just say, it ROCKS to see a "Jen and Dan plus Kennedy in the corner" photo?! Woooo-hoooo! Finally! :D

Hope you're having another great day! The smiles on your faces, bigger and happier each day, say so much. It's such a joy to see.