Tuesday, July 20, 2010

"I 'mell poop"--a.k.a. 'a mid-July trip to Door County'

We went up to Door County for the past couple days to hang out, see Washington Island, and pick some cherries. I (and all of BMW-driving Illinois, but that's a separate post...) looooooove me some Door County. Even the drive up is lovely. Ned enjoyed the ride, too, and decided to play the role of poo smell scout the entire trip. ("I 'mell poop again, Mama.") (BTW, another aside, Ned is beginning the use of proper personal pronouns instead of referring to herself in third person all the time. I am sad about this. Sigh.) Anyway, there is a LOT of farmland on the ride. Ned should have recorded "I 'mell poop again, Mama" before we left. For real.

So we drove all the way to the tippy top of the thumb and drove our car right onto the Washington Island Ferry. Ned loved this. "Mama's car on a BOAT?! Dat CWAZY."

The ride to the island is about a half hour and allowed Ned plenty of time to take part in her new pastime, hanging off everything in sight. And then we got to the island and stopped for an ice cream cone. Oh, look at that! Something else to hang from! HOORAY!The ice cream had eyeballs. Ned ate them. Then we went for a hike in the woods to get to a church. Dan's been wanting to go to Washington Island to see this church for a couple years now. This church is some sort of old famous Scandinavian thing. It has a special long name that I could look up on the web now, but I'm just gonna call it a wooden church. It was...wooden. Okay, okay, it was cool enough.Except that inside they filled it with these bent beechwood chairs with vinyl seats. I mean, what the hell?
We headed back on the boat and this time, Ned wanted to "wide in Mama's car on boat." Seriously exciting. "Mama, boat moving car. Car not moving on wheels." I'm telling you, she's a genius.We drove back down to Sister Bay and stopped at Al Johnson's for supper. Al Johnson's is a funny place. It's a restaurant not unlike a large Scandinavian-themed Perkins, except that the roof is covered in grass and several goats munch away all day up there while all of BMW-driving Illinois gawks and photographs them with their telephones from below. (And the rest of us photograph them with actual cameras. Don't even get me started.) Ned was pretty astonished that they were "on da WOOF!" The goats totally make the very average food palatable. And then we headed to our home for the night, a B & B whose name is escaping me, if only because they annoyed me this morning with a surcharge for housing Nedy, along with a "we don't actually allow children in the B & B" speech. What.ev.er. Put it on your website then. Goodness. (And, if you didn't notice, she was totally quiet and much more enjoyable than the rest of BMW-driving Illinois filling up your overpriced rooms. If I do say so myself.)

ANYWAY, today, after a lovely breakfast outside at the B & B whose name is escaping me--truly, a lovely breakfast, all homemade--we visited a sculpture garden in the morning... and then headed back down the thumb to Cherry Lane Orchards. And, surprise for Nedy, Nana and Papa drove up to pick cherries with us! A really nice couple of days. And Ned got a perfectly appropriate souvenir. I 'mell poop.

3 comments:

Aleece said...

A B&B that doesn't allow kids? seriously? Can't you turn them in for some sort of age discrimination? Geez - Remember the name so I can put it on facebook and give them a bad rep. ;)

Looks like a fun time!

Anonymous said...

The photos and laughs and stories...awesome post. :) Let me know the name of that B&B...M and I will be in Door County this weekend and we can egg 'em. :P

Tammy said...

I am noticing a little negativity toward the FIB's. They have therapy for that. LOL