Saturday, January 30, 2010

Cave of the Mounds

Ned loves caves. She enlists our help in the construction of them most every day, usually involving sheets on the bed or blankets over tables, not to leave out the occasional cardboard box model. And both Grandma and Nana have play tents--but use the word "tent" and you'll find quick correction: "Caaaaaaave."

So when I asked her this morning if she wanted to see a
real cave, she said, "Oh, yesh!! CAVE!!!! Turtle come?" 100 miles later, we were at Wisconsin's famed Cave of the Mounds. (I have no idea who "famed" it, but they swear it's famed.)

The verdict? Super cool. On top of being amazingly beautiful, the cave stays a constant 50 degrees year round, meaning we did something out in nature and didn't run the risk of digit loss given our current tundra-like conditions. And Ned loved the maze of dark and mysterious caveness. As we were leaving she said, "Come back? More cave?" (My guess is that our home cave construction is gonna have to ratchet up a few notches.)


(Oh, and in case you're wondering, Turtle really liked the cave, too. He told me so on the way home.)


4 comments:

Aleece said...

that looks really cool - and I'm glad turtle liked it.

Where is Cave of the Mounds anyway?

marveling at moss said...

About 30 miles past Madison in Blue Mounds. We can go next time you're back home! :) Speaking of which, it's almost time for us to come out and visit you, isn't it??

Anonymous said...

Hm....wondering if I could get this in between when I. leaves on his bus at 7am and when he comes home at noon. I think the little ones would really enjoy it (I. not so much).

Cool idea!

Corky said...

We love Cave of the Mounds too. I only wish I had discovered it when I was a kid. It's super fun. When the weather is warmer, kids can pan for gold.