Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Socks and pants.

Dan's birthday is tomorrow. Ned's been preparing by repeatedly rehearsing the "boday song". She sings it around the house, out in the yard, at the grocery store... Good stuff.

She and I went shopping for Baba's present on Monday. We went to Erehwon and she picked out a pair of socks for him (ha!) and I got him a pair of fleece pants. She walked all around the store (painstakingly selected socks in hand...) singing the "boday song", only interrupted by the occasional yelling of "yellow boat!" or "blue boat!" as she toddled under the suspended kayaks. As we shopped, I talked to her about birthday presents, and that we want to keep what we choose for Baba a secret so that he's surprised on his birthday. "Ohhh-kay. Secret. S'prise!" she says.

Yeah, right.


So we get home and sit down to supper with Baba. Mid-bite of spaghetti she sets down her fork, looks at him and--with that little glint in her eye--says, "boday present...you!" Baba responds, "You got me a birthday present?! Is it tools?!?" Ned says, "Nooooooo, socks...pants!"

Good times. :)

2 comments:

Juli said...

Our first Christmas, my mom "helped" her pick out and wrap a present. They had a serious discussion about keeping it a surprise. So, when they finished wrapping, she grabbed it and ran into the room where I was, waving it in the air and yelling, "Mama! Mama! Pretty necklace for you! It's a surprise!"

Still makes me smile every time I wear it.

Aleece said...

gotta love honesty and openness. :) Just don't tell her about surprise parties!