Monday, April 18, 2011

Seoul Day 4: Meeting Kamron

The day we've all been waiting for! :)

Nedy woke up at 4:00 this morning, shook my shoulder and whispered in her not-so-much-a-whisper whisper, "Hey Mama, dis is da day we go to da Foster Mudder's house and meet Kamron, right?" She didn't go back to sleep after I confirmed for her. "I sooooo esited!" she kept saying. Too cute.

I spent the morning today trying to catch up the blog, wrapping gifts for the Foster Family and SWS staff, and mentally preparing for our big day. Dan and Nedy went for a long walk down by the river.

Our instructions were to meet at SWS (the agency in Korea) at 2:00 where we would be transported with Kamron's social worker to the Foster Family's home for our visit. We arrived at 1:45, a first for us to actually be early. :) The SWS office was an interesting place--many babies were there, I presume with their Foster Families, and we all enjoyed watching them interact while imagining what Kamron would be like.

At 2:00 we piled into the SWS van and rode 30 minutes across Seoul to the Foster Family's home. They live on the 15th floor of a high rise building. When we arrived, we were greeted by Kamron's Foster Mother and her adult daughter who is heavily involved in his care. They welcomed us so warmly to their beautiful home that we were immediately at ease.

And there he was, looking at us curiously and timidly and clinging to his Foster Sister. "They want you to know he is shy of new people," his social worker told us. Indeed he was. So we hung back and all sat down on the floor surrounding a large play blanket that was laid out for him. Nedy moved in by him and gave him a toy, a panda rattle she brought from home. She stroked his face a few times and helped him shake his rattle. And then she started bringing him toy after toy from his bin of toys on the floor near us. He looked right at her with such curiosity in his eyes. And when she got in close enough, he reached over and grabbed her arm. "He touched me, Mama!"

For the next hour and a half we asked questions and listened to the social worker translate the Foster Family's care instructions, all the while Kamron sat and watched, as if trying to figure out all that was going on.

The care he received from his Foster Family was no doubt outstanding. The love and nurture this mother and daughter team provide him is very evident in their every interaction with him. He is so loved by this family. We are so grateful to them and are very hopeful for a continuing relationship so they can be part of his life as he grows older.

Kamron's Foster Family gave us a photo album containing photos of him in chronological order. It is wonderful to have such a nice record of his earlier months. They also gave us the most stunningly gorgeous hanbok for Kamron's first birthday celebration. Oh my goodness, it is just gorgeous. Really, really beautiful.

After we were there a while, Foster Mother brought out a table with a variety of traditional Korean baked goods (YUM!), strawberries, kiwi and juice. They were so kind and wonderful to us. I feel so lucky to have had the experience of meeting with them in their home and seeing where Kamron's early months were spent. Foster Mother also brought out a bowl of fruit for Kamron. She began feeding him pieces of strawberry and kiwi and then asked me to come over and feed him. I did so, and he accepted pieces, albeit hesitantly. Nedy decided she wanted a turn and I gave her the small plastic fork. She fed him a few pieces and was so pleased with herself. But then he turned his head and she accidentally poked him with the fork, which upset him just a bit. She felt bad about that. "I'm sorry, baby. I didn't mean to hurt you!"

The social workers from SWS took notes, allowing us to focus on being there in the moment. They will provide us a written report when Kamron is transferred to our care. Speaking of which, it was interesting how that date was set. The social worker asked us when we would like to have Kamron in our care, and of course part of me wanted to say, "Is now okay?", but seeing the love and care he is receiving and knowing how hard it will be for both Kamron and his Foster Family to deal with the separation, I said, "Whatever is best for the Foster Family." In consultation with the family, it was decided Kamron would transition to our care on Thursday at 11:00 a.m. at the SWS office, meaning we will have him a full day and then some before boarding the plane on Friday. There is something about him that tells me he is a sensitive soul, and just thinking about the change ahead of him makes my heart hurt for him. While I know he will grow to trust and love us with time, I am hopeful that at the least in the immediate we do a good job meeting his needs and providing him comfort.

Before leaving, I gave gifts to the Foster Family. I explained to the social worker that one of the gifts in particular was very special, as it was an art piece crafted by Dan's Dad. Foster Mother opened it right then and was so happy with it, commenting that she would hang it on her wall. That was a neat moment, knowing that one of Dan's Dad's pieces would be hanging in the home of this amazing family.

As we were walking out the door, I got the chance to hold Kamron for a bit. He wasn't quite sure how he felt about that, looking intently at me as if to say, "Uh, lady? Why are you holding me?" He is such a sweet, adorable baby. His disposition seems timid and calm. It sure will be fun to see what develops as he gets to know us over the next few months.

Our ride back to SWS was nice. I sat in the back of the van with Nedy and the social worker and we just gabbed about all sorts of stuff. Come to find out, she remembers our nephew Samuel from when he was in the care of SWS from baby until age three. Her face lit up when I said his Korean name (incorrectly, I should note, but she understood me anyway) and she was happy to hear how well he is doing now. Small world.

We could not have asked for a better visit. We came back to the hotel after a brief stop for dinner and coffee and met up with Lisa and Josiah (who spent the day at markets and the aquarium) to share our news, photos, and videos of the day.

And finally, photos! (Sorry for the blur factor. Sadly, in our rush to be on time, we forgot our flash today. I know, of all days, right?!?)

8 comments:

Corky said...

Ah! He's so gorgeous! I can tell too from the photos that he's a gentle soul. Thank you for filling me with love this fine Monday morning. Can't wait to hear more, especially on Thursday. Nedy is clearly the world's best big sis. And that story about Samuel is incredible!
Lots of love to you all!!!
PS - Sorry to have jinxed you Dan, but it snowed last night. No worries. No accumulation worth shoveling.

Anonymous said...

Those expressions! I'm glad he has that extra time with his foster family...he does look like a sensitive soul. A darling one! I'm sure you, Dan and Nedy will be the the family of gentle souls that will help him feel at home.

I. Is in surgery now. Hour six. All is going well.

I don't know where you find the time to post while you're on vacation, but I'm glad you do! The pictures and posts are beautiful.

Jennifer said...

What a special day! Kamron is adorable! I think it's wonderful how you got to visit him at his foster family's home. I've been thinking about your trip and it looks like you have been on an amazing trip! :0)

freewheelingwillackers said...

Congratulations, you guys! He is such a squishy ball of adorable! That is so amazing that you get to build a relationship with his foster family. It sounds like this will be a hard transition for him, but, honestly, he couldn't ask for a better family to transition into. I am sending you all love and strength.

Corky said...

Ha! JW said it best: Squishy ball of adorable!!
Jen, what is his full name??

Unknown said...

I think I've read this post about 100 times! It is sooooo good to see you all together. Will you get to see him in between your 1st meeting and Thursday?

holly said...

Hi big ol' Ned - I noticed your hair is so cute and it looks sort of like mine (minus the pigtails), except mine is more grey because I am older than you. Love, big ol' Zhi

P.S. Your little brother is pretty cute!

Aleece said...

how amazing! so happy for you guys!